The following qualifications must be met for nominees to be considered for Canada's CFO of the Year™ Award.
- Candidates will be Chief Financial Officers or Heads of Finance.
- Candidates will be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants and current residents of Canada.
- The minimum period of service for the CFO in their current role will be two years.
- All nominations must be validated and endorsed by the nominee and the nominee's Chief Executive Officer.
- Candidates are not employed by or affiliated with any of the organizations that sponsor Canada’s CFO of the Year™ Award.
- There is a 10-year grace period before another CFO from the winning company can be considered for the Award.